A.R. Rahman was born on 6th January and today he is celebrating his 51st birthday. He is an Indian composer, singer-songwriter, music producer, musician, and philanthropist. His works are noted for integrating Indian classical music with electronic music, world music, and traditional orchestral arrangements. Among his awards are four National Film Awards, two Academy Awards, two Grammy Awards, a BAFTA Award, a Golden Globe, fifteen Filmfare Awards and sixteen Filmfare Awards South. He has been awarded the Padma Bhushan, the third highest civilian award, in 2010 by the Government of India. He won the two Oscar in 2009 for Slumdog Millionaire one for the best original song and best original score. He also holds 2 Grammys 1 Bafta and 1 Golden Globe for the best original score for the same movie Slumdog Millionaire.
Some of the Unknown Facts about Him:
- As a kid, he was seen in Doordarshan’s Wonder Balloon where he got popular for being the kid who could play 4 keyboards at once.
- He wanted to become a computer engineer.
- A street in Markham, Ontario, Canada, has been named in his honor in November 2013.
- Rahman and his son, Ameen share the same birth date that is 6th January
- Apart from Slumdog Millionaire, Rahman has provided great scores for other Hollywood movies such as 127 Hours and Lord Of War.
- The Oscar-winning song “Jai Ho” was initially composed for the Salman Khan casted- Yuvraaj
- The keyboard that he played as a teenager is on display in his studio in Chennai
- He has won 4 national awards, 15 Filmfare awards and 14 Filmfare awards south, as of 2014. In fact, out of a total of 138 award nominations, he has won 117
- He is also the first Asian to have won 2 Oscars in the same year
- Airtel’s signature tune, composed by Rahman, is the world’s most downloaded mobile music with over 150 million downloads.